Each class has a unique mechanic, defining the class and separating it from others. For the Necromancer in Diablo 4, this mechanic is known as the Book of the Dead. Learn everything you need to know about Skeletal Warriors, Mages, and Golems in our Book of the Dead Guide.
Book of the Dead
In the Book of the Dead, you can further customize your undead army with three summons: skeletal Warriors, Mages, and Golems. Each type of Summon has 3 types and each type has 3 variants to choose from
NOTE: YOU WILL CHOOSE 1 VARIANT OR SACRIFICE FROM EACH OF OF THE 3 TYPES OF SUMMONS
To Access the Book of the Dead while playing the Necromancer Class, press the “Shift” and “C” Keys at the same time
Skeletal Warriors are the first Necromancer pet available and are centered around melee damage. The Available choices for Skeletal Warriors are Skirmishers, Defenders, and Reapers
Sword-wielding skeletal minions that deal 30% increased damage but have 15% reduced Life. Below are the 3 choices for Skirmishers Skeletal Warriors
- You can raise one additional Skirmisher
- Each time you Critical Strike, your Skirmishers Warriors’ next attack Critically Strikes and deals 50%x Bonus Critical Strike Damage. Can only happen every 3 seconds
- SACRIFICE – Your Critical Strike Chance is increased by 5%+ but you can no longer raise Skeletal Warriors
Durable shield-bearers with 15% increased Life. Below are the 3 options for Defenders
- Every 6 Seconds your Skeletal Defenders negate the next instance of Direct Damage they would take.
- Increase the amount of Thorns that Defender Warriors inherit from you from 30% to 50%
- SACRIFICE –
Wields a powerful scythe that has a special wind-up attack, dealing heavy damage every 10 seconds. Below are the 3 options for Reapers.
- Reaper attacks against enemies who are Immobilized, Slowed, Stunned or Vulnerable reduce the cooldown of their powerful wind-up attack by 2 seconds
- Reapers have a 15% chance to carve the flesh off enemies, forming a Corpse
- SACRIFICE – You deal 15%X increased Shadow damage but you can no longer raise Skeletal Warriors
Skeletal Mages are the second version of pets the Necromancer unlocks. Mages cast at range and can be summoned as Shadow, Cold, or Bone Mages. Below is the types of Skeletal Mages available to summon:
Shadown Mages wield power from the beyond dealing moderate Shadow damage. Below are the 3 options, including sacrifice, from the defenders:
- Shadow Mages attacks have a 10% chance to Stun for 2 sconds. This cannot happen on the same enemy more than once every 5 seconds
- Shadow Mages fire an additional shadow bolt every 4th attack
- SACRIFICE – Your maximum Essence is increased by 15, but you can no longer raise Skeletal Mages
Cold Mages attacks will chill enemies eventually freezing them in their tracks. Below are the 3 option for Cold Mage:
- Each time your Cold Mages damage enemies with their primaryty attack, you gain 2 essence.
- Enemies who are Frozen by or damaged while Frozen by your COld Mages’ Primary attack are made Vulnerable for 4 seconds
- SACRIFICE – You deal 15% X increased damage to enemies, buy you can no longer raise Skeletal Mages
Bone Mages use their own bodies as projectiles, dealing heavy damage at the cost of their own life
- Reduce the Life cost of your Bone Mages’ attacks from 15% to 10%. After being alive for 5 seconds, Bone Mages deal 40%X increased damage.
- Each time a Bone mage dies from its own attack, they leave behind a Corpse and Fortify you for 20% of your Base Life
- SACRIFICE – Your Overpower damage is increased by 40%X but you can no longer raise Skeletal Mages
Golem is the final Summon that the Necromancer unlocks in Diablo 4. Getting access to the Golem requires the player to complete the Level 25 Class Quest(SEE BELOW). The 3 types of Golem available are the Bone, Blood, and Iron Golem.
A horrid protector that taunts enemies , forcing them to attack the Golem. Below are the optoins available for Bone Golem
- Each time your Bone Golem takes up to 20% of its Maximum Life as damage, it sheds a Corpse
- Your Bone Golem gains 10% Maximum LIfe and the amount of Thorns it inherits from you is increased from 30 to 50%
- SACRFICE – You gain 10%+ increased Attack Speed, but you lost the ability to summon a Golem
Drains LIfe from nearby enemies to heal and bloster itself. Below are the options for the Blood Golem
- Your Blood Golem absorbs 15% of ddamage you would take
- While Healthy, your Blood Golem gains 25% Damage Reduction and 50%X Increased damage
- SACRIFICE – Your Mazimum Life is increased by 10%X but you lost the avility to summon a Golem
An amalgation of steel that slams the ground and Stuns enemies
- Every 4th Golem attack causes a Shockwave, dealing 899 – 1099 (40% of your damage) to the primary enemy and to enemies behind them
- Your Iron Golem’s slam attack also makes enemies Vulberable for 3 seconds
- SACRIFICE – You deal 30%X increased Critical Strike Damage, but you lose the ability to summon a Golem
How to Unlock the Golem
At level 25, you will unlock a class quest located in the top left part of the Kyovashad called CALL OF THE UNDERWORLD. Track the quest in your journal and head to the White Quest Marker.
COLLECT UNBROKEN BONES
From here you will click on the shrine which will prompt you to collect bones from enemies in the area. Kill mobs untils until you have the 12 bones. Bones do not drop from every enemy, so you will need to kill a few to get them all.
FIND CAVE CONTAINING THE VILE ARTIFACT
Again, track the quest and head down to the cave marked by the White Quest Marker. Once below the Quest will updage
ACTIVATE AND FILL THE JAR OF SOULS
Once in the cave, run down and interact with the Jar of Souls. This will prompt you to kill the enemies that spwn to fill up the Jar with “Souls”. Once complete, speak with NPC that spawns and you’ll have Unlocked the GOLEM summon.
How To Increase Max Amount of Skeletal Warriors and Mages
When playing a Summoner Necromancer, its important to get the most out of your Mages and Warriors. To do so, you’ll want to maximize the amount of Minions you have summoned at once. Below are the two legendary aspects that will increase the Amount of Skeletal Warriors and Mages you can have out at one time.
- Blood Getter’s Aspect – Your Maximum number of Skeletal Warriors is increased by 2
- Viscous Aspect – Your Maximum number of Skeletal Mages is increased by 2