Buffs and Debuff can give you the advantage you need to conquer any Enemy. Learn more about the Status Effects that can help you best any foe on your journey through Sanctuary in our Diablo 4 Buffs and Debuffs guide.
Diablo 4 Status Effect Chart
Before we hop into detailed descriptions of each Buff and Debuff (Status Effect), let’s look at a quick, easy-to-use chart that helps display each.
|Above 80% Health
|Below 35% Health
|Fortify (Fortified LIfe)
|100% Health – 10% reduced damage
less than 100% Health – Loose Health and Fortify at an equal rate
|Deals Bonus Damage based on Life and Forited Life
|Cleanse and Immune to Control Impairing Effects
|Target takes 20% extra Damage
|Slows Targets Movement Speed.
|Immobilizes targets and prevents them from attacking
The Healthy Status Effect refers to a player or enemy being Above 80% health. The Healthy effect on yourself or an ally typically provides you with a buff or benefit such as “increased damage dealt while healthy”. Here is an example of a buff that can occur while in the Healthy state using the Druid Spell Ursine Strength.
- Ursine Strength – Gain x20% additional Max Life while in Werebear Form and for 3 seconds after leaving Werebear Form. While HEALTHY, deal x30% increased Damage
The Healthy effect can also apply to your target and deal more damage against Healthy Enemies. Here is an example of a Healthy Affix on the gear in Diablo V.
- +X% Damage to Healthy Enemies
Next, will discuss the Yin to Healthy’s Yang, the Injured Status Effect
Injured refers to 35% or less Health. This is similar to an “execute” type status effect and usually allows your character to deal significantly more damage against a target. Let’s take a look at the Barbarian Passive Skill – Slaying Strike.
- You Deal X% (7.5%, 15%, 22.5%) increased damage against INJURED enemies
Some effects can also allow you to mitigate damage based on your character being Injured. Below is another gear affix that is centered around being Injured.
- +X% Damage Reduction when injured
Fortify is a buff that allows you to mitigate 10% more damage at max health. Once you drop below max health, you will lose half of your fortification and half your health until you run out of Forify. Essentially, this means you will be taking 50% less health damage while fortified below 100% health.
Fortify can be applied through class abilities such as the Necromancer Spell Spassive – Dreadful Bone Prison or Strategic Iron skin for the Barbarian:
- Dreadful Bone Prison Passive – Fortify for 5% of Base Life for each enemy trapped by Bone Prison.
- Strategic Iron Skin – Iron Skin also grants 9% Base Life as Fortify. Double this amount if cast below 50% Life
There is also a way to gain fortify from your equipped items with the “+X% Chance When Struck to Fortify X Life”
Next, There are several Item Affixes that will increase the benefits of Fortify. Below is a list of these item Affixes:
- +X% Damage Reduction While Fortified
- +X Damage While Fortified
- x% Bonus Fortify
- +X Attack Speed While Fortified
Overpower is a damage buff that deals bonus damage based on the amount of Life and Fortified Life you have at the time the damage is dealt. All attacks have a small chance to Overpower (3%), The Willpower Stat increases the amount of Overpower Damage dealt as well.
The best way to utilize Overpower is to use a skill that guarantees an Overpower attack and to build your character’s health and fortify utilization. Below are some examples of abilities that utilize Overpower in this way.
- Enhanced Pulverize (Pulverise Enhancement) – Your next Pulverize will Overpower Every 10 Seconds while you remain healthy
- Paranormal Blood Surge (Blood Surge Enhancement) – If an enemy is damaged by Blood Surge’s nova while you are Healthy you gain 1 stack of Overwhelming Blood. When you have 5 stacks of Overwhelming Blood, your next Blood Surge Overpowers.
Finally, there are several item affixes that can also help you get the most out of your Overpowered attacks. Below are some of the affixes located on items related to Overpower
- +X% Overpower Chance
- +X% Overpower Damage
NOTE – Maces have a fixed affix of % Overpower Damage
Unstoppable is a defensive Status effect that removes and prevents Control Impairing Effects. This can be used in reaction to removing a Status Effects such as Frozen or Slowed OR it can be used to prevent them entirely.
The Vulnerable Status effect causes the target to take 20% Extra damage. When this effect is applied to you, your Health Globe will appear cracked with purple inside of the cracks.
There are many skills that apply vulnerable to targets. Here are a few examples down below:
- Mighty Charge (Charge Enhancement): Damaging enemies with Charge makes them Vulnerable for 2 seconds.
- Forceful Arrow – Fire a powerful arrow at an enemy, dealing 20% damage. Every 3rd cast makes the enemy Vulnerable for 2 seconds.
Chilled and Frozen
Chilled and Frozen are both related to Cold damage. These effects work in tandem to help keep enemies controlled. Chilled slows enemies’ movement speed while Frozen locks them in place and prevents them from attacking. Below are two examples of skills that apply these effects to enemies
- Frost Bolt – Throw a Bolt of Frost at an enemy, dealing 35% damage and Chilling them for 15%.
- Blended Cold Imbuement (Cold Imbuement enhancement) – Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes with Cold Imbued Skills have up to a 20% chance to Freeze enemies for 3 seconds.
That concludes our Diablo 4 Buffs and Debuffs Guide. For more Diablo IV Guides and News, check out our home page.