New World Logging Guide
Logging is a gathering trade skill in New World that allows players to gather raw wood resources from logging nodes that will be used in crafting trade skills; Weaponsmithing, Engineering, and Furnishing. It is also used in the smelting and woodworking refining Trade Skills. In our New World logging guide, we cover all this and more.
When first starting out you will need a flint logging axe to start gathering nodes. This requires engineering level 0 along with 1 flint and 1 green wood to craft it. You are able to pick up both the flint and green wood without the need of a gathering tool by walking up to the respective bush/flint and pressing your interact key. (Default “E) Once obtained a Tier 1 camp fire or workshop is required to craft it. Once crafted you will need to equip it and you can start gathering.
Higher character levels are able to use better tiers of Logging Axes:
|Item||Level Range||Tier||Gathering Speed|
|Iron Logging Axe||3-19||II||200 – 350%|
|Steel Logging Axe||16-39||III||350 – 450%|
|Starmetal Logging Axe||32-59||IV||450 – 625%|
|Orichalcum Logging Axe||51-60||V||625 – 850%|
|Mythril Logging Axe||60-65||V||850 – 1100%|
It is advised to use the highest tier possible followed by the best gear score possible to best increase your gathering speed.
As you level your logging you will gain the ability to harvest and track additional resources. The below chart outlines each logging level threshold.
|Resource||Gatherable at Level||Tracked at Level|
|Young Trees & Cacti||0||N/A|
|Mature Trees & Cacti||50||N/A|
TIP: Logging Luck helps determines what you obtain while Logging. Don’t feel discouraged when first starting out and you are not able to find rare items as your luck increases as you level up.
Rare Gathering Items
Rare items can be found when gathering. These items, when taken to a corresponding refining station, can be researched to give the player a substantial amount of gathering tradeskill XP. These items are currently available in 3 rarities for Mining, Harvesting, Skinning and Logging. The logging variants consist of:
- Common – Strange Resin
- Found when chopping Young and Mature Trees
- Uncommon – Abnormal Resin
- Found when chopping Wyrdwood Trees
- Rare – Unusual Resin
- Found when chopping Ironwood Trees
- Epic – Bizzare Resin
- Found when chopping Runewood Trees
- These Resins can be researched at a Woodshop for a boost in Logging Trade Skill XP
How to level Logging
The information contained in this section will assist you in leveling your Logging Trade Skill. Leveling Logging is a straightforward process; chop what you see and just keep going.
Level 1 to 250:
In order to reach level 200 you will need a total of 712,368 experience. The best way to level up Logging is to chop Young Trees since they generate a base average of *6XP a second. Try to focus on chopping down the smaller, quicker-to-cut trees if possible.
At level 50 Logging you should still just chop everything in sight as the Mature Trees generate a base average of *4.8XP a second due to their increased chop time.
TIP: Use the interactive map to plot out your path!
At level 100 be sure to stop and grab the Wyrdwood Trees as they are not as abundant as either Young or Mature trees. Wyrdwood Trees generate a base average of *7.8XP a second.
At level 175 you can start chopping Ironwood trees to mix in with the Young, Mature and Wyrmwood trees. These generate a base average of *30.7XP a second.
Finally, at level 205, you can start chopping Runewood along with all the other Trees.
*All experience-per-second calculations are based on an unmodified gathering speed value. You will obviously have a better experience per second rate if you have better gathering speeds, but they were kept equal to see the values to determine what would be the best way to level!
Useful Perks and Attributes While Leveling
There is an experience perk that you will want to seek out on your Axe called Lumberjack’s Discipline. This perk increases your Logging experience based on the gear score value of the Axe. The perk is limited to only Axes. This perk is a must if you are trying to power-level Logging. At level 200 its great to have for pushing Aptitude Levels.
Constitution at 300 points is ideal while leveling. Having 200 points will give you 20% Logging speed and a 10% weight reduction to harvested items. The 250 point bonus (10% Yield) doesn’t help leveling at all, but great to have while leveling, and the the 300 point bonus will allow you have a 25% chance to chop down a tree in a single swing which can greatly increase your leveling speed.
Enhancing your Logging
Buffs and perks are the 2 main ways to enhance your Logging. Below is a chart for the logging axe perks and their associated perk labels. You can not have 2 perks with the same perk label on your item.
|Tool||Perk Label||Perk Name|
|All Tools||Azoth Gain||Azoth Extraction|
|All Tools||GatheringProc||Gathering Recovery|
|All Tools||GatheringProc||Gathering Alacrity|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Fire Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Earth Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Air Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Water Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Spirit Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Life Alignment|
|All Tools||5th Perk, Motes||Death Alignment|
|Logging Axe||Bonus||Lumberjack’s Discipline|
|Logging Axe||Bonus||Logging Efficiency|
|Logging Axe||Luck||Logging Luck|
|Logging Axe||Yield||Logging Yield|
Buffs can stack if they come from different sources. For example, you can stack yield increase buff from a Proficiency potion and territory control. If you attempt to stack buffs from the same source it will just refresh your buff timer.
There is a Lumberjack armor set that is ideal for players to use while Logging as it should always come with Constitution and Reinforced Logging Luck. This set is not required for logging, but greatly assists due to the stats rolled on the gear are always guaranteed to be what you need for Logging.
Other Logging Perks
- Reinforced Logging Luck (Mod: Vial of Sap)
- Adored Logging Luck (Mod: Draught of Sap)
- Lumberjack’s Burden Reduces the weight of Wood, Timber, and Logging Axes (Mod: Drop of Sap)
- Extra Pockets You can hold more weight (Mod: Sliver of Adderstone)
- Alchemist’s Burden Reduces the weight of reagents, potions, and Sickles (Mod: Steel Arcanist’s Charm)
- Weak Proficiency Booster Increase Logging yield by 5% for 10 minutes
- Common Proficiency Booster Increase Logging yield by 7% for 15 minutes
- Strong Proficiency Booster Increase Logging yield by 10% for 20 minutes
- Powerful Proficiency Booster Increase Logging yield by 15% for 30 minutes
- Roasted Cabbage Increase Logging Luck by 1000 points for 20 minutes
- Boiled Cabbage Increase Logging Luck by 1400 points for 25 minutes
- Herb-Roasted Cabbage Increase Logging Luck by 1700 points for 30 minutes
- Cabbage-Wrapped Roasted Fish Increase Logging Luck by 1900 points for 35 minutes
- Salted Poultry with Cabbage Increase Logging Luck by 2000 points for 40 minutes
- Bear Flank and Cabbage increase Logging Luck by 2500 points for 50 minutes
- Minor Logging Gathering Trophy Increase Logging Luck by 500 points
- Basic Logging Gathering Trophy Increase Logging Luck by 1000 points
- Major Logging Gathering Trophy Increase Logging Luck by 1500 points
- 25 Points +10% Logging Speed
- 50 Points +10% reduction on durability loss for tools
- 100 Points +50% encumbrance
- 150 Points -10% decrease in weight of logging items
- 200 Points +20% Logging Speed
- 250 Points +10% yield when Logging
- 300 Points +25% chance to chop down a tree in a single swing
- 350 Points +10% chance of finding rare items while logging
- Logging Luck Logging Level * 10 = Logging Luck Points
- Gathering Speed +5% until level 20 and then +0.3% thereafter
- Cutlass Key Fort +10% to global gathering luck
- Monarch’s Bluff Fort +5% Increase to all experience gains
- Territory Control +10% Yield while gathering
- Farmer’s Harvest +20% Yield while Logging for 3 days. (Settlement Quality of Life Buff)
- Territory Bonus [5-37]% Gathering Speed – Varies based on how many points. Bonus decays at 86.5% per point
- While Flagged +30% Gathering Luck
You can check our Music guide for a full breakdown of the music trade skill.
- Decidedly Dexterous: Gathering speed increases by 75% for 30-90min.
- Fortune’s Favor: Gathering yield increases by 3%-10% for 30-90min.
- Luck’s Labor: Gathering luck increases by 2% – 5% for 30-90min.
BIS Logging setup
- Spinweaver Hat GS 700 | 32 Con & 5.6% LoggingLuck
- Dark Leather Chest GS 700 | 32 Con & 5.6% LoggingLuck
- Spinweave Gloves GS 700 | 32 Con & 5.6% Logging Luck
- Spinweave Pants GS 700 | 32 Con & 5.6% Logging Luck
- Spinweave Shoes GS 700 | 32 Con & 5.6% logging Luck
- Mythril Earring | 32 Con & 10.45% Adored Logging Luck
- Mythil Harvesting Sickle GS 700
- Logging Yield
- Lumberjack’s Discipline
- Alignment of Choice (Fire, Water, etc.)
- 3x Dark Leather Adventure’s Satchel 700 GS |
- Extra Pockets
- Lumberjacks Burden
- Level 250 Logging
Luck is important for Logging is because it will increase the odds of you obtaining a rare Logging item and increase to items gathered. Some thresholds must be reached to obtain the rare items. These thresholds can be obtained by just leveling Logging, but can be reached sooner with the help of the resources talked about not too long ago.
- +1,000 Points / 10.00% Ability to harvest Tier 2 & 3 rare wood materials.
- +1,450 Points / 14.50% Ability to harvest Tier 4 rare wood materials.
- +1,800 Points / 18.00% Ability to harvest Tier 5 rare wood materials.
It is important to note that even though these are the thresholds to start seeing these items, it doesn’t mean your chances of seeing them are very high.
New World Logging Guide Conclusion
That completes our New World Logging Guide. For a map of all the Trees of Aeternum, Check out our interactive map!