Gathering in New World
The purpose of this guide is to provide an overview of Gathering in the New World. For a more in-depth look into the trade skills of New World you can check the crafting and gathering sections of the website.
Every gathering profession in New World requires the use of tools.
- Fishing Pole – Used to fish
- Logging Axe – Used for logging
- Pickaxe – Used to mine ore
- Sickle – Used to harvest plants
- Skinning Knife – Used to skin animals
You can obtain tools in New World in one of 3 ways. First, you can craft basic tier-one tools at your camp. You can craft higher-tier tools at the Workshop in a settlement using the Engineering crafting skill, and you can purchase tools at the trading stations in settlements.
Once you have the tools you want to use you then need to right-click it in your inventory and select “Active Tool.” You can have 1 of each tool active at any given time so there is no need to swap tools. For example, when you’re out in the wilderness logging and you see an ore node you would like to mine as well you can just walk up to a tree or an ore node and press the default key of “E” to begin harvesting the node or resource as long as you have both an axe and a pickaxe as active tools.
Tools can be crafted with Perks that include a durability increase and a gathering yield increase. Durability increases the durability of the tool and reduces the time required between repairs. Yield increases the amount of the primary resource you gain, for example, wood or iron.
Tiers of gathering tools follow the same 5 tier progression as other gear in the game.
- Tier 1 Flint
- Tier 2 Iron
- Tier 3 Steel
- Tier 4 Starmetal
- Tier 5 Orichalcum
- Tier 5 (700) Mythril
You can check the tool’s gathering speed by hovering over the item and viewing the detailed information about that particular item. When purchasing a tool of a specific tier or crafting a tool of a specific tier make sure you check the gathering speed before purchasing or before salvaging the tools.
The tier of tools also determines which resources you can gather. The higher tier tools, and higher-level your gathering the higher tier resources you can gather.
The tier of the item can be easily identified by the roman numeral on the icon of the item when you enter your inventory.
Where and How to Find Resources
You can find resources in New World by checking our interactive New World Map.
Also, when you open your map in-game, default key “M” you can then click on “Resource Locations” on the left side of the map. This will not give you specific locations of resources but will provide you with a general guide as to where to find a certain resource.
Once you reach a certain level in a particular gathering skill you will be able to track resources. This means that you can see the resource icon on your compass if you’re close enough to the resource so you can easily find the resource to gather.
You can earn 3 daily Hidden Stash while Harvesting, Logging and Mining.
Gathering in New World is made up of 5 different skills
As you use each skill above you gain experience and progress the skill’s level. The more you use it the higher your level becomes. Higher levels of gathering increase the percentage change for Special Resources when gathering, and increases the speed of gathering.
In order to view your level in each trade skill press the default key of “K” in order to bring up your skill trees. You can then click on a trade skill in order to view the details of that particular skill, including your gathering speed bonus, which resources can be harvested and tracked at what level, the tool required, and what each node looks like.
Note that progression with gathering skills is capped at 250. After 250 you will start to earn Aptitude levels. There are certain level points at which you can gather certain items. For example, Orichalcum ore cannot be mined until you hit 175 mining and cannot be tracked until you hit 200 mining.
Tracking a resource means that the node will be visible on your compass at the top of your screen.
Fishing rods in New World can be crafted using the engineering trade skill.
- There are 11 unique perk types available for fishing rods.
- Your ability to find hotspots increases with your Fishing Skill
Once you have crafted or purchased a fishing rod you can then fish by equipping the rod and finding a nearby body of water. You can fish in either fresh or salt water. Once you found some water walk up to it and press F3 to pull out your fishing rod and then left-click to cast your rod to begin the fishing mini-game. Where you fish and what type of bait you use will determine what type of fish you catch. The fish you catch can be cooked.
Hotspots allow you to catch better quality fish and range from broad hotspots up to secret hotspots. Your ability to discover and track those hotspots is relative to your skill in fishing. As your fishing increases you will hit level milestones that unlock new discoverable hotspots.
- Young Trees and Cacti – Gatherable at 0 and never available to track
- Mature Trees and Cacti – Gatherable at 50 and never available to track
- Wyrdwood – Gatherable at 100 and tracked at 125
- Ironwood – Gatherable at 150 and tracked at 200
- Mycodendra – Gatherable at 200 and tracked at 235
- Runewood – Gatherable at 205 and tracked at 250
Logging is one of the easiest gathering skill to level. There are six node types, and normal trees are always near you so it’s easy to constantly harvest wood and level the skill.
Mining is used to mine not only ore, but stone, oil, gems, and alchemy stones. Gems are a random drop while mining and are used to slot into gear.
Stones (Used for Stonecutting):
Regular Stone – Harvestable at mining level 0. Very easy to find. Located in every zone. Plentiful resource.
Lodestone – Harvestable at mining level 75. Tracked at mining level 95.
- Metals (Used for Armor and Weapons):
- Iron – Gatherable at 0 and tracked at 25
- Silver – Gatherable at 10 and tracked at 35
- Oil – Gatherable at 20 and tracked at 45
- Gold – Gatherable at 45 and tracked at 70
- Alchemy Stones – Gatherable at 50 and tracked at 75
- Starmetal – Gatherable at 100 and tracked at 125
- Sandstone – Gatherable at 105 and tracked at 130
- Platinum – Gatherable at 110 and tracked at 135
- Brimstone – Gatherable at 130 and tracked at 160
- Orichalcum – Gatherable at 150 and tracked at 200
- Mythril – Gatherable at 205 and tracked at 250
Alchemy stones can be found scattered around the map. They do follow a pattern. For example, you will find more earth nodes around earth mobs, and water around water. These can be found in all zones.
Harvesting is used to gather plant nodes in New World. There are 7 types of harvestable plants: Farm Plants, Hemp, Fungi, Magical Creatures, Magical Plants, Silkweed, and Wirefiber.
- Farm Plants – Gatherable at 0 and tracked at 20
- Hemp – Gatherable at 0 and tracked at 25
- Fungi – Gatherable at 0 and not tracked
- Magical Creatures – Gatherable at 0 and tracked at 175
- Magical Plants – Gatherable at 30 and tracked at 45
- Silkweed – Gatherable at 100 and tracked at 125
- Aloe Gel – Gatherable at 105 and tracked at 120
- Wirefiber – Gatherable at 150 and tracked at 200
- Spinfiber – Gatherable at 205 and tracked at 250
Fungi are harvested and used to create dyes. The color of fungi you find are separated by zone. Fungi is plentiful and easy to find in each zone.
Hemp & Herb:
Can be found in forest and grassland biomes. Plentiful near Windward. Typically where you find Hemp you’ll find Herb close by and vice versa. Tracked at harvesting level 100.
Crops can be found in farms around the map. Each farm has a different type of crop. You can check this map (link to map) to find specific farm plants. Tracked at harvesting level 50.
Magical Plants / Creatures:
These nodes follow the same logic as mining nodes. You will find water plants near water, earth plants/ creatures near earthy forest areas, etc.
Once you kill an animal you can then skin that animal with a skinning knife to obtain raw hide and raw meat. You can also obtain feathers and eggs from turkeys. The ability to skin certain levels of animals is tied to your tracking and skinning level.
For example, if your skill level in skinning is 0-10 you can skin creatures that are level 1-10 and if your skill level in skinning is level 100-103 then you can skin animals level 25 and below.
Tiers of leather are defined by the level of the animal harvested. For example, 35+ is tier 4 and 50 plus would be tier 5 hide. Below are the levels at which you can track the different animals in the game:
Small Prey – 15
Medium Prey – 40
Large Prey – 65
Small Predator – 100
Large Predator – 125
In order to effectively and efficiently level a gathering skill you would need to spam farm the lowest resource tiers with the best tools you can find and can use at your level. Low resource tiers are the easiest to find and the fastest to gather. You can find every resource in Aeternum by using our Interactive Map. Make sure to purchase bigger bags as you level so you can carry more weight before having to return to town to refine or sell the materials.
Rare Gathering Items
Rare items can be found when gathering. These items, when taken to a corresponding refining station, can be researched to give the player a substantial amount of gathering tradeskill XP.
These items are currently available in 3 rarities for Mining, Harvesting, Skinning and Logging:
- Common – Strange Ore
- Found when mining Iron and Silver Veins
- Uncommon – Abnormal Ore
- Found when mining Starmetal and Gold Veins
- Rare – Unusual Ore
- Found when mining Orichalcum and Platinum Veins
- Epic – Bizzare Ore
- Found when mining Mythril Veins
- These Ores can be researched at a Smeltery for a boost in Mining Trade Skill XP
- Common – Strange Ore
- Common – Strange Pollen
- Found when harvesting Hemp Plants
- Uncommon – Abnormal Pollen
- Found when harvesting Silkweed Plants
- Rare – Unusual Pollen
- Found when harvesting Wirefiber Plants
- Epic – Bizzare Pollen
- Found when harvesting Spinfiber Plants
- These Pollens can be researched at a Loom for a boost in Harvesting Trade Skill XP
- Common – Strange Pollen
- Common – Strange Bone
- Found when skinning Predators that give Rawhide
- Uncommon – Abnormal Bone
- Found when skinning Predators that give Thick Hide
- Rare – Unusual Bone
- Found when skinning Predators that give Iron Hide
- Epic – Bizzare Bone
- Found when skinning Predators that give Dark Hide
- These Bones can be researched at a Tannery for a boost in Skinning Tradeskill XP
- Common – Strange Bone
- Common – Strange Resin
- Found when chopping Young and Mature Trees
- Uncommon – Abnormal Resin
- Found when chopping Wyrdwood Trees
- Rare – Unusual Resin
- Found when chopping Ironwood Trees
- Epic – Bizzare Resin
- Found When chopping down Runewood Trees
- These Resins can be researched at a Woodshop for a boost in Logging Trade Skill XP
- Common – Strange Resin