Last Updated: Fri Feb 24 2023 Reading Time: 3 min
New World Great Axe Patch Note Changelog
Below is a running list of changes for each patch for all things relating to the Great Axe in New World. The most recent patch is listed first and then in descending order by date.
July Update Summer Medleyfair – July 27th, 2022
- Fixed an issue that caused the Charge ability to detect targets behind the player and trigger the auto attack.
- Fixed an issue that caused Insatiable Gravity Well to deal the incorrect damage type.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Mauler’s Fury (Ultimate) to not trigger properly if the player had a “Slash Damage” perk on a ring.
- Fixed an issue that caused the passive Gravity Well tooltip to have unused space at the bottom of the flyout.
- Gravity Well no longer pulls downed players to the center of the ability upon cast.
- The Maelstrom ability with the Absorb upgrade will no longer absorb friendly projectiles. It now only absorbs enemy projectiles.
May Arenas Patch – May 26th, 2022
- Whirlwind: Increased base movement speed while spinning from 3 to 3.5.
- Gusting Winds: Increased speed bonus 50% to 100%.
- Fixed an issue where the upgrade names Gusting Winds (speed upgrade) and Unending Winds (more spins) were swapped.
April Bugs and Balance Patch – April 25th, 2022
- Fixed an occasional character stutter/desync when using the Great Axe “Reap” ability.
- Fixed the Perk Insatiable Gravity Well that caused inconsistent activation and no VFX. Removed an unintended 1-second root applied to targets next to the caster when the perk activated.
Heart of Madness Patch – March 30th, 2022
- Bloodlust: Adjusted detection volume to prevent exploits between dueling players.
- Charge: This ability now ends early if it traverses into deep water.
Bug Fixes Patch – February 28th, 2022
- Swapped the placement of the Frustration passive and the Keen Edge passives. Ability points spent on Great Axe ability trees will be refunded and require a respec after this update.
- Gravity Well:
- Updated damage area to match Vortex visuals.
- Reduced Vortex pull force to allow players a chance to escape.
- Pulling force ends just before Vortex damage occurs to allow players a chance to escape by dodging.
- Removed unintended damage from the initial pull and area effect of the Vortex.
- Updated and clarified the description of this ability.
- No Reprieve: Fixed an issue where the cancel window was set too early this upgrade, resulting in the ability being cancelled out prior to the 2nd spin on the attack.
- Enduring Strike:
- Reduced the damage reduction provided by this passive from 20% to 12%.
- Updated the tooltip to clarify that the damage reduction occurs while any grit is active and not just the grit provided by heavy attacks.
Mutators Patch – January 25th, 2022
- Fixed issue where the great axe Reap ability was not dealing damage when both The Collector Modifier and the Gravity Passive were unlocked.
- Fixed an issue causing desyncs on Reap when fully upgraded with the Blood Lust Passive.
Winter Convergence Patch – December 16, 2021
- Enduring Strike: The Grit windows for attacks empowered by this passive ability have had a consistency pass to make sure that they only last until the end of the strike windows.
- Blood Lust: Updated description to clarify the correct effective range of 15m.
- Light attacks and non fully charged heavy attack: Reduced homing range detection from 4.5 meters to 3.5 meters.
- Base Crit Damage: Reduced from 40% to 30%.
- Bloodlust: Haste bonus reduced from 30% to 20%.
- Reap: Damage on initial pull reduced from 110% weapon damage to 70% weapon damage.
Into the Void Patch – November 18th, 2021
- Fixed an issue with the great axe reap incorrectly triggering a breakout dodge.
- Gravity Well
- Fixed an issue causing the Gravity Well’s slow effect to not always be removed if a player was able to get out of the effect area, resulting in the effect lasting up to 2s longer than intended.
- Fixed issue where the Gravity Well tooltip wasn’t listing the melee damage caused by the ability if Gravity Well is used in close proximity to a target.
- Added Grit to Whirlwind.
- Fortifying Whirlwind (Item Perk): Fixed an issue where this perk applied too many stacks of Fortify.
- Heavy Pull: Fixed an issue where heavy attacks had incorrect hit boxes when this passive was equipped.
- The Gravity passive no longer increases the duration of all pulls. We updated the ability to now apply Root for 0.25s to targets hit by a pull.